|NOTE:||HP and Compaq desktop PCs with Windows XP manufactured in summer 2003 and later contain software to create a Recovery Tools CD. This CD contains recovery console and other useful tools. If you have already created a Recovery Tools CD, use it to complete the steps in this section. Otherwise, make sure to create a Recovery Tools CD after the computer is repaired.|
- Insert the CD and restart the computer.
- Just after the keyboard lights flash on and off, press the Esc key.
- Select CD-ROM , then press Enter .
- At the message Press any key to boot from CD , press the spacebar .
- Press R to enter the Recovery Console when shown.
- At the message Which Windows installation would you like to log onto? press 1 , then press Enter .
- Type in the administrator password when prompted. If no administrator account has been set, leave the password blank and press Enter .
- At the C prompt, type chkdsk /r , then press Enter .The Chkdsk program checks the hard drive for errors and repairs any error it finds. Chkdsk takes at least twenty minutes, an hour or more is also possible.
- After the Chkdsk program is finished, type exit , then press Enter to restart the computer.After the computer is working, install all critical updates for Windows to prevent this error from occurring again. For more information about updating Windows, read Updating Drivers and Software with Windows Update .
- Recover the computer from Recovery CDs by following the instructions in the document Performing a System Recovery in Windows XP .If you do not have recovery CDs you can obtain them by following the instructions in the document Statement on the Availability of the Recovery and Quick Restore Software on CD (in English - for Europe, the Middle East, and Africa) or from the document Obtaining a Recovery CD or DVD Set .
- After the computer is working, install all critical updates for Windows to prevent this error from occurring again. For more information about updating Windows, read Updating Drivers and Software with Windows Update .Installing all critical updates will prevent the error from occurring again.
|NOTE:||One or more of the links above will take you outside the Hewlett-Packard Web site. HP does not control and is not responsible for information outside the HP Web site.|