- Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
- In the left pane, locate and then click the following registry subkey:
- In the right pane, right-click OOBETimer, and then click Modify.
- Change at least one digit of the OOBETimer value to deactivate Windows.
- Click Start, click Run, type the following command, and then click OK:
- Click Yes, I want to telephone a customer service representative to activate Windows, and then click Next.
- Click Change Product key, type the new product key in the New key boxes, and then click Update.Note If the previous Activation Wizard screen appears again, click Remind me later, and then restart the computer.
Windows is already activated. Click OK to exit.
Install any Windows service packs that you want to install.Note If you cannot restart Windows after you install a service pack, press F8 when you restart the computer, click Last Known Good Configuration, and then repeat this procedure.