Most Linux based editing software can now be downloaded free of charge from the Internet. You also need a video capture card and a FireWire connection to capture digital video from a DV camera.
How Do I Install Avidemux Under Debian / Ubuntu Linux Desktop?
$ sudo apt-get install avidemux
Embedding The Subtitles to AVI By Using Avidemux
Video editing in Ubuntu Using Cinelerra Part 1
Cinelerra Tutorial Capturing Desktop Screens
How Do I Install Kdenlive Under Debian / Ubuntu Linux Desktop?
$ sudo apt-get install kdenlive
Video Effects & Stacking - Kdenlive 0.7 - Ubuntu 8.10
How Do I Install Kino Under Debian / Ubuntu Linux Desktop?
$ sudo apt-get install kino
LINUX video capture - KINO Tutorial
Demo made using LiVES Software
Comparison Of Video Editing Software
|Hard Disk (min)||?||?||1G||?||10G|
|High Definition Video Editing||?||Y||Y||?||Y|
|Linear Timecode Display||?||Y||Y||?||Y|
|Smart Phone Output||?||Y||Y||N||Y|
|Windows Media Output||?||Y||Y||N||Y|
Other Open Source Non-linear Video Editing Software For Linux Operating Systems
- Blender - 3D animation suite (cross-platform) : Blender is a 3D graphics application. It can be used for modeling, UV unwrapping, texturing, rigging, water simulations, skinning, animating, rendering, particle and other simulations, non-linear editing, compositing, and creating interactive 3D applications, including games. Blender's features include advanced simulation tools such as rigid body, fluid, cloth and softbody dynamics, modifier based modeling tools, powerful character animation tools, a node based material and compositing system and Python for embedded scripting.
- OpenShot Video Editor : OpenShot Video Editor is an open-source program that creates, modifies, and edits video files.
- PiTiVi : PiTiVi is a program for video editing based on the GStreamer framework. It can - Capture and encode audio and video, with formats supported by GStreamer, split and trim video clips, split and trim audio, render projects in any format supported by the GStreamer framework etc.
- Use Cinelerra for professional work. It is very fast, and can handle a heavy load. You can also obtain paid support for this product.
- For video encoding and conversion purpose use Avidemux.
- Cinelerra - Recommended for Animator, Artist/Illustrator/Designer, video editor.
- Kino - Recommended of home user, video editor, and videographer.
- Avidemux (Non-Linear Editor) - Recommended videographer
- Kdenlive - Recommended for home user.
- LiVES - Recommend for home user and VJ.