VSSVC.exe missing from your system? You may receive an error message that indicates the VSSVC.exe file is missing, damaged, or the wrong version. To download and install a DLL file, you will first need to download the Microsoft® Windows® Operating System DLL file and register it on your computer.
- Download the Microsoft® Windows® Operating System DLL file using the download link on this page and save the file to one of the folders as seen in step 3. Microsoft® Windows® Operating System .EXE files do not need to be manually registered.
- Backup the old version of the DLL file.
- Click Start > Run and type in the following command:
Windows 95, 98, or Me:To replace the VSSVC.exe file:
Windows NT or 2000:
Windows XP or Vista or Windows 7:
- Close all open programs.
- Click Start, point to Find, and then click Files or Folders.
- In the Named box, type VSSVC.exe.
- In the Look in box, click My Computer, and then click Find Now.
- In the search results list, right-click VSSVC.exe, and then click Rename.
- Type VSSVC.exe.old, and then press ENTER. If there are multiple copies of the VSSVC.exe file in the list, rename each copy.
When you start the program that uses the DLL or EXE file, the program checks for necessary files. The programs should start normally.
Download Microsoft® Windows® Operating System VSSVC.exe
Microsoft® Windows® Operating System EXE (Executable) Files:
Download "missing or corrupted VSSVC.exe":
- Download the file to a folder on your computer
- Scan the .EXE file using an Anti-Virus Scanner like AVG or Norton Anti-Virus
- Run the Microsoft® Windows® Operating System .EXE file by double-clicking the file
download it!(Windows XP32bit)
Press Start and select Run.
Type CMD and press Enter.
Type regsvr32 "filepath\filename.dll" and press Enter. (ex. regsrv32 "C:\Windows\system32\filename.dll")
From a command line:
vssadmin list shadows
vssadmin list writers
vssadmin list providers
To re-install VSS and repair MS Software Shadow Copy Provider service.
HP support told me that VSS would be "re-installed" with that installation and that any corrupt or missing files, services, registry entries, etc. would be fixed. I have not yet installed that package because I had my doubts from the beginning.
Descripcion: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service proxy/stub
Producto: Microsoft Windows Operating System
Fabricante: Microsoft Corporation