Could connect to the vpn but not the servers on the network. Thought it was the router because on other wireless networks I could connect fine. This solution did the trick however. Thanks.
route delete xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is your LAN network ID (usually xx.xx.xx.0)
Generally if a vpn client successfully connects, that means that handshake portion is over, a secure connection has been established (port 51) ... however data is unable to use this tunnel for some reason ergo port 500 is blocked or if that is not the case then the traffic is getting to the far end but not returning via the tunnel, (in this case that is not true, as 2 of the PC's are using the same configuration and most likely the same tunnel on the firewall (remote dialup clients) with traffic returning to them.
so back to basics:
1) check the client vpn configurations
a) make sure that the client is setup to "only connect manually" or has split horizon enabled.
2) check that the firewall has not blocked port 500 on the PC, if you are unable to view the blocked list, then
create an exception rule for ports 51 and ports 500 inbound and outbound.
A, B and C can connect to my client using VPN but cannot ping anything on the remote network. Once the connection is made these computers can't access anything on the local lan either. D and E can connect to the remote network and can ping the router and other resources on both the local and remote LAN.
I wanted to compare the routing table of a successful and non successful connection so I was on computer A and remoted in to computer E using remote desktop. While remoted in I successfully connected to my customer using VPN. I minimized that window and then remotely accessed computer B from computer A. I then fired up a VPN connection and low and behold I was able to ping and access resources on the remote network. I couldn't believe it. I disconnected both remote desktop sessions and logged on at the console of B. I then established a VPN to my customer successfully. Computer B seemed to be "fixed". To make sure that nothing changed on the customer's end I went back to computer A and tried to make a VPN connection. I made the connection to the customer but could not ping or access resources on the remote LAN. So, I still had the problem with A and C.
I then did a remote desktop session from computer B to A and while on A established my VPN session to my customer and then everything was fixed on A. I did the same to C and now that one works as well.
Does anybody have a clue as to why this worked?
Vista makes the distinction between local and www connections, but not winxp.
What did I do?
I uninstalled the Hamachi network adapter via device manager, and then uninstalled Hamachi software. After restarting the computer, I proceeded to install Hamachi afresh, from which point on the software worked fine.
For Rome: Total War engine to connect its Lan gameplay through Hamachi, you must make sure that Hamachi is first place on the Connections list.
[Network and Sharing Center - Manage Network Connections - Advanced - Advanced Settings - Adapters and Bindings - Connections]
Hamachi to send out small UDP packet over the tunnel if there was no outbound traffic for a specified number of seconds. Default value is 90 seconds. To modify the value add the following line into ~/.hamachi/config: KeepAlive 123 where 123 is an idle timeout in seconds. Minimum allowed values is 10. To disable tunnel keep-alives, set KeepAlive to 0.