Yellow Dog Linux is the Premier Linux Operating System for PowerPC.
Proven world-wide as the preferred Linux OS for the Power architecture, v4.1 brings Terra Soft into its 8th year of Power Linux development and support. Yellow Dog Linux v4.1 marks a returning point in Terra Soft's effort to again provide a leading desktop Linux OS.
Yellow Dog Linux combines the preferred desktops KDE and Gnome with the latest sound and graphic card support, leading (but not bleeding) edge kernels and stable, functional compilers for code development. And of course, the foundation applications and servers expected of all modern Linux operatings systems for web, database, email, and network services.
What will you do with your PowerMac after Apple switches to Intel?
We have an answer--Faster, more stable, and far more efficient as a desktop OS, Yellow Dog Linux is a solid replacement (not just an alternative) to OSX. Breath new life into your PowerPC G3 and G4, giving it a second wind as a personal workstation, or a new function as a web, email, or data server. Want to see how your G5 runs Linux? You may dual-boot both OSX and Yellow Dog Linux or take the leap and run Yellow Dog Linux alone, taking advantage of the multitude of included, freely available, and commercial applications
Here are some key features of "Yellow Dog Linux":
· Backlit keys.
· PCMCIA cell phone and modem support.
· Support for Atheros wi-fi cards.
· Dual head config via the GUI.
· Install direct to and boot from FireWire drives.
· USB device auto-mount under both KDE & GNOME.
· Greatly improved sound support.
· Graphical Up2Date package install and update tool.
· Support for the latest Apple Power Books.
· Beta support for Apple G5 PowerMacs with dual core CPUs.
· Beta Extreme driver will be available shortly after release, via YDL.net Enhanced accounts.
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· USB boot and install support;
· Linux Kernel 2.6.29 PPC64;
· Linux Kernel 2.6.27 PPC32;
· Added the Xfce 4 desktop environment;
· Updated IMB Cell SDK to version 220.127.116.11;
· Updated the OpenOffice.org office suite to version 3.0;
· Updated Mozilla Firefox web browser to version 3.0.6;
· Improved wireless support;
· Improved Shockwave Flash support;
· Better PS3VRAM support;
· Updated Gnash to version 0.8.4;
· Added Libfreevec.