Bienvenido! - Willkommen! - Welcome!

Bitácora Técnica de Tux&Cía., Santa Cruz de la Sierra, BO
Bitácora Central: Tux&Cía.
Bitácora de Información Avanzada: Tux&Cía.-Información
May the source be with you!

Saturday, April 26, 2008

Cloning a partition

Dragon43
March 7th, 2007, 03:15 AM
An update of that:
I finally got a copy / clone made using the "Ubuntu" live CD and used the terminal on that to get the clone of my 41 Gig's drives done in 57 minutes by using the command that MrC led me to with hints from a lot of people.
I used
{ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdc bs=1M}
hda and hdc are the two physical places of my hard drives. 'a' is master on IDE 0 and 'c' is master on IDE 1.

I have the 'Rescue' CD now and the G4L CD and I will keep trying to get them to work for me also. Lots to learn and now that I have a good copy of my work to this point, I'm using the back-up or clone HD now with the original in a drawer, I can now mess things up without fearing I will lose it all.....
SEE: dd and rsync
How-to-copy or clone-hard-drive
DATA Picks
clonezilla
retrospect and Macintosh data

No comments: