Error message: "Windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem"
This behavior can occur if any or some of the following conditions are true:
- The Default value in the [Boot Loader] section of the Boot.ini file is missing or invalid.
- Windows XP is not installed in the location specified in the Boot.ini file.
- The Ntoskrnl.exe file is missing or damaged.
- The partition path in the Boot.ini file is not set correctly.
- General hardware failure.
You still get the error when the BIOS is configured to boot straight to the CD-ROM, but when you "press a key" to go into the XP installation it never does anything and goes straight to that error. You can trye a different SATA drive and get the same problem. You can unplug the power to the drive and bingo...