Bienvenido! - Willkommen! - Welcome!

Bitácora Técnica de Tux&Cía., Santa Cruz de la Sierra, BO
Bitácora Central: Tux&Cía.
Bitácora de Información Avanzada: Tux&Cía.-Información
May the source be with you!

Friday, December 9, 2011

How to get System permissions

Source
I have a Windows 2003 server that I am working on. I am logged in as administrator and have run across a folder that when I try to access it, I get the standard 'access is denied' error message.
When I have run into this problem before, I was always able to go take ownership of the folder/file and then change the security. However, with this folder, I don't have a security tab available to me. When I select properties for the folder, the only tabs are general and customize.
How do I get access to this folder?
Solution
Try to take permission with System permissions
Log on to your PC or server as administrator. Open command line and enter this command line:
at 20:09 /interactive cmd.exe
20:09 is time when scheduled task should run. Set it to about 1 minute more then current time and press enter to set it off... Wait about a minute and new cmd.exe will show up. Note: this will only work from console and not from e.g. Terminal Services -- so you can not use RDP connection to the server.
When new console window opens (in about a minute) enter this in it:
explorerand click OK. Try to open your folder from this session of explorer and/or try to take ownership. You might even want to try xcacls again from command line (but you the command line that now has system permissions...)...

No comments: