- Automatic diagnosis and repair of boot problems using a tool called Startup Repair.
- A centralized platform for advanced recovery tools such as command prompt and ability to restore to a System Restore points.
- Restart the computer, and press a function key (depends on motherboard manufacturer or OEM brand) to go to CMOS’s BIOS configuration.
- Set the boot device ranking or priority so that the first device to boot will be CD/DVD optical drive.
- Save the CMOS.
- Shutdown the computer.
- Insert the Windows Vista installation DVD into DVD drive disc tray. Windows Anytime Upgrade DVD can be used in the case that user don’t have normal installation DVD.
- Power on the PC.
- On some system, user requires to press any key to boot from CD or DVD disc drive, even though first boot device has been set to CD or DVD drive. So read the text on screen carefully, and press any key if applicable.
- System will start to load files, and once loading completes, “Install Windows” screen will be displayed. Select and choose appropriate Language to install, Time and currency format, and Keyboard or input method, then click on Next button.
- The next screen has options to “Install Now”, learn “What to know before installing Windows”, or “Repair your computer”. Click on Repair your computer.
- “System Recovery Options” will then search for all Windows installations on the system. If the system is dual-boot or multi-boot systems with many operating system installed, more than one item would be displayed. However, for most users, there should be only one Windows installation found, Microsoft Windows Vista which is highlighted by default. Else, select the installation of OS that you want to recover or access in the Windows RE, and then click on Next button.
If you’re hard disk is a SATA (Serial ATA), SATA II or SCSI interface which requires additional driver to Windows RE to recognize the disk, insert the installation media or driver disc for the device, and then click on Load Drivers to select the driver to add the drivers to the recovery session.