Firewall Challenge is a project that replaces our older project Window Personal Firewall Analysis and its subproject Leak-testing. As a part of Window Personal Firewall Analysis project we have deeply analysed security products but we found out soon that such a testing was extremely time consuming. It was not possible to test as many products as we wanted to. On the other hand, Leak-testing seemed to be a very easy way how to test many products in reasonable time. However, Leak-testing is not able to cover many of the important features of the desktop security products. We have decided to combine the simplicity and effectivity of Leak-testing with the scope of our deeper analyses and created this project: Firewall Challenge.
2008-03-25: Results for these products and versions were published:
- Kaspersky Internet Security 126.96.36.1995
- Windows Live OneCare 2.0.2500.22
Windows Live OneCare failed the tests completely. This product was probably intended to replace the internal Windows firewall but its protection, as a personal firewall, is nearly the same.
Kaspersky Internet Security confirmed its qualities. Its result is Very good and we can expect that future versions will score even better.
2008-04-25: Results for these products and versions were published:
- Avira Premium Security Suite 8.1.00.206
- BitDefender Internet Security 2008 11.0.16
- BullGuard Internet Security 188.8.131.52
- McAfee Internet Security Suite 2008 9.1.108
- Steganos Internet Security 2008 7.5.509
2008-05-17: Results for these products and versions were published:
- Comodo Firewall Pro 184.108.40.2069
- F-Secure Internet Security 2008 8.00.101
- Online Armor Personal Firewall 220.127.116.11 Free
- Panda Internet Security 2008 12.01.00
F-Secure Internet Security 2008, Panda Internet Security 2008 and Trend Micro Internet Security 2008 are security suits with very high hardware requirements but their protection is noticeably worse than of other products tested today.
2008-08-01: New results have been published for:
- Dynamic Security Agent 18.104.22.168
- PC Tools Firewall Plus 22.214.171.124
- Sunbelt Personal Firewall 4.6.1839.0
Dynamic Security Agent (DSA) and PC Tools Firewall Plus are both free products and both reached the level 7. DSA scored 62%, PC Tools Firewall Plus 74%. DSA was tested for the first time, PC Tools Firewall Plus was already tested in the past – its previously tested version scored only 6%, so its improvements are remarkable.
Sunbelt Personal Firewall scored worse than before because of the new tests. It did not even reach the level 2 and finished with 7% score.
- Comodo Firewall Pro 126.96.36.199
2008-09-15: A single product update:
- Norton Internet Security 2009 188.8.131.52
The new version of Norton Internet Security is out. Its improvements are noticeable. While the previous version scored Very Poor 32% (against 62 tests), the new version comes with Good protection level and final score of 71% (against 73 tests).
- Kaspersky Internet Security 2009 184.108.40.2064
We have received many requests to test the new version of KIS. Finally, we have the results. Its previous version tested against 62 tests scored 85%. The new version scored 87% against 73 tests, which is slightly better result, and it is still a Very good protection level.
- BitDefender Internet Security 2009 220.127.116.11
- McAfee Internet Security 2009 10.0.209
- ZoneAlarm Pro 2009 8.0.020.000
Among the 2009 solutions we have tested today, only ZoneAlarm Pro is worth mentioning. Its previously tested version 7 scored only 63% (against 62 tests). The new version has been improved so that it passed all the levels with the final score of 86%, which is a Very good result.
BitDefender Internet Security 2009 and McAfee Internet Security 2009 failed in the tests completely. BitDefender 2008 scored 4% (against 70 tests) and its 2009 version scored 7% (against 73 tests) remaining on None Protection level. McAfee version 2009 finished with the final score of 12% (against 73 tests), its previously tested version scored 6% (against 70 tests).