Bienvenido! - Willkommen! - Welcome!

Bitácora Técnica de Tux&Cía., Santa Cruz de la Sierra, BO
Bitácora Central: Tux&Cía.
Bitácora de Información Avanzada: Tux&Cía.-Información
May the source be with you!

Sunday, August 7, 2011

error 0x00000019

BAD_POOL_HEADER
stop 0x00000019, 0x00000020, 0xE115E500, 0xE115E5F8, 0x0C1F0201
Source
The bad pool header error can be caused by
undervoltage (bad power supply),
a driver conflict (try turning off the USB printer during a backup),
bad memory,
a corrupt registry entry or
a filesystem problem.
--The HP Multifunction - it generates driver problems on other XP machines - usually after the computer has accessed the printer for one function or another
--The problem occurs when my computer is in a standby state and a backup (using VSS!) is initiated automatically.
--I recently installed two new hard drives and moved from a Raid striped to a Raid mirror system. I also recently upgraded from Norton Internet Security 2007 to 2008 and it is after this that the problems developed.  Also, I am able to use Acronis True Image Home backup system without any problems.
Solution
Volume Shadow Copy Causing STOP 0x00000019 "Bad_Pool_Header" 

http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic94820.html 
Post #70 of that thread.


ALSO FOUND THIS FIX ON ANOTHER SITE....
I USED IT AFTER REENABLING SHADOW COPY AND IT WORKERD GREAT....
"I have a Dell 4600 and upgraded from my failing original SATA 120GB to a Seagate SATA 300GB (ST3300631AS). I use Dantz Retrospect 7.5 to backup to a Maxtor external USB drive. I used Acronis Easy Migrate 7.0 to clone the drives. Every time I tried to backup, Retrospect would say "preparing backup" then I would get the blue screen of death (BSOD) error saying "Bad_Pool_Header Stop: 0x00000019".
Here is the fix and it works brilliantly: 
It turned out that my problem arose not directly from changing my hard drives...but from using a cloning program (Acronis True Image) to do it. While I don't know the technical issues involved, suffice it to say that this was the problem. And for those who may have the same problem, here is the solution as noted in the referenced post:
1. Go to windows Device Manager
2. Click "view" and select "show hidden devices"
3. Scroll down to "storage volumes"
4. Click on the plus to expand.
5. Click on each one listed and right click and uninstall. (you will get a message on some saying to reboot before it takes effect. Select no until you do them all.)
6. Reboot.
7. Wait till windows automatically reinstalls devices. Will prompt to reboot again.
8 Reboot.

Now it should work. 
The problem was they got corrupted using DiscWizard and Acronis (which is the DiscWizard engine). There are other explaination at that site, but the above works WITHOUT A REINSTALL OF WINDOWS OS!!!!"
------------------------------------------------
Go to "Start/run/" and type services.msc Looking at my list of services, I found MS Software Shadow Copy Provider AND farther down the list, I found something called Volume Shadow Copy. I right-clicked on Volume Shadow Copy and changed the "Startup type:" to "Disabled", clicked "Apply" and then "OK". I then opened my Roxio Backup My PC and started a full backup including the "Busy files". It didn't crash, and it tells me my full backup will be finished in 2 hrs and 24 minutes! Woohoo! 
No BSoD! The report created during the backup contains this sentence:
Unable to create a snapshot (shadow) copy of files that may be in use, reverting to no snapshot backup.  
Ghost 2003 has the ability to clone the whole drive, not just each partition separately like more recent versions of Ghost
It's a well known fact the 2003 version is what everyone should be using -- even XP and Vista owners.
 --------------------------------------
Apricorn's version 2.0 Upgrade Suite (clone software) is really Acronis version 10 build 5114.
Now there are two ways you can clone a drive with Apricorn's Acronis -
1. under Windows
2. boot from the Apricorn/Acronis CD and the clone will run under Linux.
Since I cloned mine under Windows, Apricorn suggested I do it again by booting from the CD. Then enter F11 to get to a Linux command prompt and immediately after "Quiet" enter
quiet  acpi=off  noapic
to turn off all power controls in Bios for this one instance.
Haven't done it yet but will post an update once I do.
Also, searching doesn't seem to turn up any Bad Pool Header probs related to Norton Ghost so I too was considering trying that. In fact, I talked with level 2 support at Symantec and they hadn't heard of a Bad Pool Header prob - but the
n Apricorn hadn't either. 
------------------------------
I too feel that it is up to Seagate and Acronis to own up to this problem
----------
All I can conclude is that the Discwizard/Max Blast/Acronis made some very small/minor change to the disk that causes the shadow feature to crash.
---------------------------------------
--Before you clone
make sure all BIOS passwords are turned off and
uncheck all Startups in msconfig
--After you have cloned 
increase IRPStackSize by 3 at 
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters
Insert it if necessary.
  default is 15 decimal, max is 50 decimal
  (see Microsoft knowledgebase Article ID : 285089 )
- But this didn't stop my Bad Pool Header problem!
-------------------------------------
I Think I Solved It!!!

I won't bore you with the details of how much digging and where I found this but I've tried it and I can now do shadow copy backups again.
Try the following:
1) regedit from the run menu.
2) goto HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E967-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE-10318}
3) Export this key so you have a backup of it. (I know this solves the MSbackup but I don't know if other problems will pop up.)
4) delete the key "UpperFilters"
5) re-boot
6) My computer did a "Found new hardware" when it re-booted and required another re-boot.
7) Go ahead and re-boot
8) Run your backup software as ususal.
This key is the device manager for the disk drives. I found this from a thread where the CD drive was causing the same BSOD and the solution was to delete this key from the CD ROM device manager registry. I went down a couple and saw that the disk drives had the same filter and had an entry of "partman". After deleting and re-booting my PC is behaving like it used to. Obviously I'll do some more testing but the BSOD is gone and I'll take it. Anything to not have to re-install everything.
I KNEW IT HAD TO BE SOMETHING SIMPLE!!
----------
[I did find a side-effect on my system. Explorer now shows three new "Local Disk" entries (E:, G:, I that appear to be small FAT partitions on each of my 3 NTFS drives (1 internal, 2 USB). 
----------
Before we go any further with this, what filter driver values were in upperfilters before they deleted it? PartMgr is supposed to be there and deleting that may be why someone is now seeing formerly hidden stuff. I am wondering if there was an Acronis filter driver name value there and maybe it was only necessary to delete that name value. The only value I have there currently is PartMgr and I am reluctant to delete upperfilters and lose that.
Also, lowerfilters at the same key may be involved too. According to what I have read, Acronis puts stuff there too. Mine only has drvmcdb which I think is normal. 
----------
Snapman is the Acronis bit. When you double clicked upperfilters a window came up that listed both Snapman and PartMgr - right? Just right click on Snapman and you can delete just that value and leave PartMgr there.
Like I said, I may not have understood you but is that what you did? - delete the Snapman value and leave PartMgr there? 
-----------
UpperFilters
tried it both ways and PartMgr is the culprit. If I leave that one it crashes. Leaving Snapman was OK.
So PartMgr is the offending entry.
-----------
If I restore PartMgr to UpperFilters, then my hidden FAT drives disappear (as they should). Also, drive letters appear next to the Volume name in the Disk Management console. (They disappeared when PartMgr was removed.) But the BSOD comes back 
----------
partmgr.sys (in C:\Windows\System32\Drivers) says it's from Microsoft with a version of 5.1.2600.0 
----------
It looks like PartMgr is a legacy driver. On my other system, the drive letters changed after deleting it. No huge problem but just so you are aware you may have side effects.
Obviously the final solution to this is to get to the bottom of why PartMgr has such a "Disagreement" with the new clone
----------
I believe that the problem is related to the disk signature in the Master Boot Record (MBR). The disk clone operation gives the cloned disk a new signature (probably in order to prevent conflict with the source disk), and also changes the signature in the following registry key on the cloned disk:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices
The result being that Windows starts without recognizing the disk as a new drive. Since the disk is not considered a new no update is performed on keys that needs update when the disk signature is changes (like those of the Volume Shadow Copy Provider).
If you replace the source disk one solution would be to check its signature and apply this to the cloned disk after the completion of the clone. You would then also need to restore the signature in the appropriate registry key mentioned above.
Another solution, the one I had to use on my Win SBS 2003 disk since I didn't write down the original disk signature, is to simply give the cloned disk a new signature and have Windows recognize it as a new disk. This requires a reboot after the change of the signature and a new reboot after the "new" disk has been recognized.
I used the utility MBRFIX (just do a Google for "mbrfix download") to read (mbrfix readsignature) and change (mbrfix generatesignature / mbrfix writesignature <4-byte hex>) the disk signatures.
An alternative solution might be to skip the MBRFIX-program and leave the disk signature unchanged, but to delete the disk registry key (\??\Volume{...}) under "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices" and have windows rediscover the drive.
I have NOT tested this one!
--------------
---------------------------------------------------
LarryD
SOLUTION CONFIRMED: 
MbrFix /drive 0 generatesignature

I can confirm that halholme's suggestion does indeed fix the problem quickly with no apparent side effects.
You can download the latest version of MbrFix from
http://www.sysint.no/nedlasting/mbrfix.htm
read here smplified info
Here's what I did:
1. Reboot from a floppy or CD so we're not changing the MBR while Windows is running. (I'm not sure this is required, but it's what I did. I am very happy with the BartPE boot disk from http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/ - it creates a bootable CD with a pared down version of Windows on it. I ran MbrFix from a floppy after BartPE started up. I'm pretty sure any DOS boot disk would do.)
2. Just to make sure drive 0 is the right partition to work on, run the command:
Code:
MbrFix /drive 0 listpartitions
Examine the results to make sure that the drive has the boot partition and is the size you expect.
3. Again, to be safe, tuck away a copy of the current MBR with the command:
Code:
MbrFix /drive 0 savembr BackupMbr0.bin
4. The key step is to generate a new signature for the drive with:
Code:
MbrFix /drive 0 generatesignature
5. Reboot from your hard drive.
6. As halholme mentioned, Windows will detect this as a new drive and ask that you reboot. Reboot as suggested.
At this point, your drive should be working properly. I tested mine with both the Windows Backup program and NovaBACKUP and they both worked fine after this fix.
Just to be clear, this solution does NOT involve removing the PartMgr filter from the Windows Registry discussed earlier in this thread.
As a side note, an IT wizard friend of mine recommended Drive Snapshot as a great little utility to do complete disk backups and clones. It can take a consistent snapshot of your drive(s) at a particular instant in time even while you continue working on the machine. It's a little rough around the UI edges, but it performs very well and it seems many IT folks have used it for years. (As a matter of fact, it's pre-installed on the boot disk from the unrelated BartPE mentioned above.)
---------------------------------------
Question
Is it "safe" to run the command: "MbrFix /drive 0 generatesignature" while Windows is running?
The author of MbrFix, Kåre Smith, answers: 
My guess is that it probably is safe in the sense that Windows probably don’t check the disk signature while running, and therefore probably would not detect the change until boot time.
If that guess is true, I think one probably should reboot quite quickly after issuing the command... 
------------------------------------------
Downloaded the Mbrfix tool and rebooted to Windows XP safe mode.
Opened a command prompt window.
Followed LarryD's steps 2-5 above. After first reboot, it took a good 8-10 minutes for the initial boot to complete, but then got something like "new hardware added not available until reboot". Rebooted, all is normal.
Used both NTBackup and Ghost 12.0 to perform Shadow Copy backup...no errors, no problems !!! Yahoooooo!
I have to say a huge thanks to everyone on this thread...NICE WORK !!! Extra thanks to halholme for the key discovery !
(I hope Acronis finds this and fixes the process to avoid others going through the pain we all have had with this.) 
-------------------------------------------------
 Generating a new drive signature with MbrFix worked for me too. But I did it from the command prompt from within Windows XP Pro SP 2 and I wasn't in Safe Mode - the only thing I shut down was Symantec AntiVirus
=============================
From wildersecurity forum:
"Right click My Computer and select Properties, select Hardware, Device manager, select View, select View Hidden Devices, and then for each Genric-volume entry under Storage Volumes, right click and select update and let windows try to find a better driver for the Generic volume. If windows says it doesn't a better driver, that's okay, but it will probably update at least one of the entries. Then close down the device manager and reboot. Prob should be gone."
When I looked at my "storage volumes" in device manager, I saw that drilling down, several of the entries had corrupted names (i.e., weird characters after "Generic volume ".) Instead of deleting all of the storage volumes, I ran the "Update Driver" routine for each of these entries. After the update, the volume name was fixed. This probably accomplishes the same thing as deleting the storage volumes, but it seems a little less kludgy.
I haven't verified that this will fix the BSOD problem, but I'm hopeful that it will, based on other people's experiences. Someone else fixed the problem by going into the registry and updating the volume names, but using "Update driver" is simpler and more straightforward. 
------------
OK, my previous solution (updating the drivers for the storage volumes) didn't seem to work. 
Deleting the storage volumes and rebooting did the trick, though.
==============================
I found an article from a dev at ACronis that said the cause is that there are 4 bytes in the MBR that are supposed to be "unused" which defrag and Acronis both alter to provide information on when the drive was defragged and/or imaged.
Unfortunately windows VSS uses those 4 bytes for something (nobody knew what) so it causes problems.
Resetting the MBR altogether forces VSS to reinitialize and accept the new MBR.
So we have Cause -- Effect -- Solution,
I'd say the MBR fix should be pretty reliable.
-------------------------------------------------------
While MbrFix apparently does the trick (that's how I did it), the preferred solution seems to be the one whoppsrus suggested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoppsrus5254
1. Go to windows Device Manager
2. Click "view" and select "show hidden devices"
3. Scroll down to "storage volumes"
4. Click on the plus to expand.
5. Click on each one listed and right click and uninstall. (you will get a message on some staying to reboot before it takes effect. Select no until you do them all.)
6. Reboot.
7. Wait till windows automatically reinstalls devices. Will prompt to reboot again.
8 Reboot.
--------------------------------
I would actually consider MBRfix the "preferred solution" over trying to convince windows to uninstall a volume it is having trouble communicating with. Assuming the description I got from Acronis is correct (that the problem is caused by Acronis, Defrag, and similar tools making notations in a 4 byte area of the master boot record that windows is SUPPOSED to ignore), regenerating the master boot record seems like the cleanest solution.
I might even hazard the suspicion that uninstalling the volumes and then trying to autodiscover them again may just be a roundabout way of regenerating the Master Boot Record. Anybody wanna record their MBR and then do the uninstall/reinstall storage volume trick and see if it changes?
--------------
I suspect you are right - that uninstalling the storage volume regenerates the master boot record.
There are a couple of instances of feedback from the author of MbrFix in this thread and, while he didn't fix it, he didn't exactly inspire confidence in that approach either - made me a little nervous. So I still prefer uninstalling the storage volume to the MbrFix approach
-----------------------------------------------------
I used the BartPE/fixMBR route and it worked perfectly.
-----------------------------------------------------
I cloned a HD using Aconis 11. Kept getting BSOD's only after the clone.
Solution was to Right click the HD in Device Manager and Uninstall. Reboot. Fixed!
================================
================================
corporate-support@acronis wrote:
This is a known problem that was already reported to our development. The cause of this problem is a change of Windows volume information in the registry after cloning. To overcome this problem, you need to use the following solution. 
It is necessary to clear data entires for the following keys
(do not remove the actual keys):
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\STORAGE
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices
Then reboot and the keys will reinitialize. 
The problem must not remain.

No comments: