- LiveCD: with gnome and icewm desktop
- LiveDVD: with gnome, kde and icewm desktop
- LiveMiniCD: rescue system with icewm desktop (300-350 MB)
- Read how to boot the Live System from an USB flash drive.
- Read how to create your own LiveCD.
- Read how to install the LiveCD on your local hard disk.
Verify DownloadIn order to verify the downloaded ISO image compare the checksum with the one found at the download site (see md5, SHA1SUM, or SHA256SUM file). Assuming you have downloaded the ISO image SL-60-i386-2011-03-07-LiveCD.iso, run on Linux:
sha256sum SL-60-i386-2011-03-07-LiveCD.iso # use sha256sum in case of SL6 md5sum livecd_SL55_gnome_2010-06-17.iso # use md5sum in case of SL4, SL5to calculate the SHA256 or MD5 sum of the iso file.
On Windows: Windows has no built-in md5sum, sha256sum, or sha1sum commands. But there are compiled versions around which you can use from Windows command line. For example google for md5sum.exe or google for sha256sum.exe.
Download md5sum.exe from http://etree.org/cgi-bin/counter.cgi/software/md5sum.exe.
Download sha256sum.exe from http://www.labtestproject.com/files/sha256sum/sha256sum.exe.
Md5summer beta version supports SHA1 and MD5 sum.
Scientific Linux Live CD/DVD labels can be found here (as .jpg or as GIMP .xcf files): http://www.livecd.ethz.ch/download/labels