Verify your flash drives here at this link
Flash fraud on Ebay « Fighting flash fraud on Ebay
Beware Kingston DataTraveler model DT200 advertised as 16GB with this packaging and drive markings of 16GB is a counterfeit – fake! Kingston did not produce them, in the size advertised with the colour coding stated. Sold mainly on wholesaler internet sites in China, Hong Kong. You can find them on other internet sites too. In some cases, listings will advertise them as “upgraded” – there is no such thing. This is a polite term for false capacity.
Avoid being frauded or scammed. Do not buy this usb flash drive in the packaging shown, you risk data loss. Do not sell this usb flash drive!
Instead, if you wish to buy on the internet visit Kingston’s site to determine the models offered and the colour coding for sizes to help you avoid a false capacity drive. Use this new guide: Kingston USB Flash Drives. How To Check You Have A Genuine One And Not A Counterfeit – Easy Guide. Kingston Technologies Fighting To Protect Consumers And Itself From Counterfeits. if you suspect you purchased a counterfeit or false capacity Kingston USB Flash drive.
Kingston never made a DT200 in 16GB capacity. The colour coding of black and yellow is for the DT200 64GB seen below.
All Genuine Kingston DataTraveler DT200 usb flash drives are engraved on the usb flash connector tip. Read the guide mentioned above to learn more.
- USB Flash Drives Best Price Bargains Fair Value To Sell Or Buy 8GB 16GB 32GB
- Genuine Verses Fake Counterfeit USB Flash Drives – A Guide – USB Flash Chips Used – Grades A B C D
- Global Report – eBay Fake Memory 2008 – 2009
- Testing Advertised Capacity Read:H2testw 1.4 – Gold Standard In Detecting USB Counterfeit Drives
- Quick Detection Genuine or Counterfeit Kingston DT150 32GB DataTraveler Michael’s Guide
- Genuine or Counterfeit Kingston DT150 64GB DataTraveler – Quick Detection – A Guide
- Kingston USB Flash Drives – Detect Counterfeits And Fakes – Product Verification
- Buying Kingston and Sony USB Flash Drives On eBay Safely – A Guide
- Fake Flash Memory On Ebay Escalates. SOSFakeFlash Status Report 20091031. Fake Memory Cards, MP3 MP4 Players, USB Flash Drive PenSticks. How To Fight Against Fraud.
If you want to review all the counterfeits found on eBay you can visit three sites. Just type in the word Kingston in the search box to see what is currently documented:
Note that the coloured part of the plasic casing in the photo is green – therefore it cannot possibly be a genuine 16GB Kingston Datatraveler drive. The label on the other side of the drive from the green plastic Kingston name is also wrong – it doesn’t match genuine Kingston labels!
The label colour almost matches the colour of the plastic in Kingston’s picture of this model of data traveler drives. Our seller’s picture shows green plastic and a mustard coloured label – hmm – feeling suspicious yet?
Here is the colour coding info for this type of drive from the Kingston site:
2GB USB flash drive (2.0) – Lime
4GB USB flash drive (2.0) – Purple
8GB USB flash drive (2.0) – Black
16GB USB flash drive (2.0) – Dark Red
Got the picture yet? It seems our friend is selling a fraudulently reprogrammed and re-labeled 2GB drives as 16GB
PLEASE NOTE: THERE ARE NO DRIVES ABOVE 16GB IN THIS RANGE!
The seller’s behavior is documented in John Smith’s comment. There is no safe place to buy Kingston USB flash drives except from a Kingston authorized dealer. There are no bargains for true capacity Kingston USB flash drives, unless you buy from a large retail chain that does business with Kingston Technologies directly.
The internet continues to be the place to fraud and scam buyers who do not do their research and homework, they are easy prey.
FlashChipTutor has added these new items to the fakes collection:
- Counterfeit DT200/8GB Kingston DataTraveler Fake USB Flash Drive.
- Counterfeit DT200/16GB Kingston DataTraveler Fake USB Flash Drive
- Counterfeit DT200/32GB Kingston DataTraveler Fake USB Flash Drive – Black Yellow
- fake 64 GB Kingston pictures