The jEdit project was originally started by Slava Pestov. The motivation was to create an open source, high quality, text editor for programmers. The project moved to SourceForge from the Giant Java Tree in early 2000.
Everyone needing a decent text editor and especially developers.
A couple of examples
- For developing jEdit
- As an IDE for various languages
- Partly embedded in other applications
- As a reverse engineering tool
- As a very powerful text editor
- As portable application
- As an excellent XML editor
- As an editor for KML files for Google Earth