On some Windows Vista and Windows 7 systems, Flash Player is installed, but does not display Flash content.
If the installed Flash Player is between version 22.214.171.124 to 10.0.45.0, use a special installation utility that uninstalls Flash Player and then installs the latest Flash Player. This utility is for Flash Player for Internet Explorer. Follow these steps:
- Open Windows Explorer and navigate to one of the following folders (only one exists depending on your operating system):
- Locate the installation utility. It is a file with a name like FlashUtil10d.exe. The number and the letter, such as 10d in this example, depend on the installed Flash Player version.
- Close all applications except for Windows Explorer.
- Right-click the installation utility (FlashUtil10d.exe in this example).
- Select Run as administrator to execute the installer with administrator permissions.
- Select Yes in the User Account Control display, if it pops up.
- Select Install Now to install the update to Adobe Flash Player.
- Check the license agreement and select Install in the Install Adobe Flash Player display.
- When the install completes, select Done.
- Restart your computer.
The Flash Player 10.1 uninstall utility in the Macromed\Flash folder has the following names:
Both of these utilities uninstall Flash Player for Internet Explorer and Flash Player for other browsers such as Firefox. If you want to uninstall Flash Player for Internet Explorer only, use the Windows Control Panel to remove the program Adobe Flash Player 10 ActiveX. To uninstall Flash Player only for other browsers, remove the program Adobe Flash Player 10 Plugin.
For more information about the utilities in the Macromed\Flash folder, see Installation issues when switching between release and debugger versions during development and testing (TechNote 4da116d3).