Attached to this message is a zip file containing the software tool that I wrote, which I call "CloneVDI" (currently at version 2.02). Features as of this release include:
- Reads VDI,VHD,VMDK,Parallels HDD,RAW files and physical drives, writes VDI.
- A simple GUI Interface.
- A CLI interface too (for people who like that kind of thing!)
- Ability to compact (discard unused blocks from) the clone, with no need to run sdelete/zerofree first.
- Ability to enlarge the maximum size of a virtual disk, optionally enlarging the main partition too.
- User choice to either keep the old UUID or generate a new one for the clone.
- Some useful diagnostics about the source VDI, such as the partition map and the internal fileystem.
- Better feedback while cloning: a progress bar and an estimated time to completion.
- It seems to be significantly faster than "VBoxManage clonehd".
- Open source.
Note that this tool is not simply a GUI front end for VBoxManage. Instead it uses my own code to read and write VDI files (and other formats), and therefore works in a rather different way, with different features and capabilities.
[ last release edit: 1st Mar. CloneVDI attachment updated to v2.02. Fixed another bug in "enlarge partition" feature, completed French language support. ]
v2.02 source code can now be found attached to the next message.
- CloneVDI v2.02, executable with release notes.
- (119.2 KiB) Downloaded 12012 times